Firm Logo

How Are Support Orders Enforced?

After divorcing your partner, you will receive child support payments to help you raise your child with the same level of financial stability that they had when living in a household with two parents. Unfortunately, these orders for support aren’t always followed. Louis WM. Martini, JR., P.C., is here to help if you find yourself with unpaid child support on your hands.

Fortunately, if your ex-partner is not making their child support payments, there are different ways that you can ensure this support order is enforced. For example, an arrest warrant can be issued. The person in question may be forced to do community service. They could even be held in contempt of court.

Other penalties can involve different aspects of their life. Driver’s licenses or professional licenses can be suspended until payments are made. It’s even possible for a passport application to be denied as long as their child support payments are outstanding.

In addition, their finances could be targeted. A tax refund or even bank account may be seized. A lien could be placed on their property. This is all done in order to ensure that the payments that have been skipped out on are paid, and that future payments are also made in good time.

Child support payments are, in fact, enforceable. If you would like to read more about what you can do to ensure your ex-partner is following the child support orders given to them, you can visit our linked web page which focuses on child support.

For more information, contact Louis Wm. Martini, attorney at law.